radiation and what not
Today I had my radiation appointment where they "mapped" me. Let me tell you about it...
I had to take my shirt and bra off and put on a gown. Then lay down on this table which made a cast of my body. I had to take my arms out of my gown and put my arms over my head during the whole process. While they were marking me up my boobs were just hanging out. It was awkward. I know what you're thinking (well at least what Holly would say) "oh get over it". There were three people in the room...a lady, an old-ish man, and a young guy who was apparently in training. After the markings, they put saran wrap-style thing over me which sucked out all of the air. I couldn't breath in or out deep even if I wanted or needed to. Picture one of those space bag things...that was me. Then I went through the CT machine for a little bit. I was done, except for the tattoos. The lady made 5 tattoos, which didn't feel very good. I don't know how people get real tattoos...I couldn't do the pain. Anyway, I have 3 tattoos that are down the center of my body, in between my boobs. And then one on each side near my armpits. (I need to go wash off where they mapped me. I have blue marker all over my chest.) To add onto the awkwardness they took pictures of the tattoos...and my boobs were definitely in the picture. So not only are these people going to remember me and my boobs, but whoever opens my file will get to see that too. Awesome.
I got home from Sacramento yesterday. I had a lot of fun. On Friday I got to see my friend Wendy and her new baby. I hadn't seen Wendy in a year and a half!! We used to work together at EDFUND. I miss hanging out with her everyday!!! Saturday I went to San Francisco with Kelly and her family. We went to Golden Gate Park and Union Square. That was a lot of fun, but gosh I was wiped by the time we got home! The other days I just hung out with the family and got to spend time with Grady. Oh, and how could I forget one of the top reasons why I went up there...David Berkleys! They have THE BEST sandwiches known to man.
Usually I would be having chemo today. It is still very weird that I don't have to get pumped full of poison anymore. I'd much rather get a cast and tattoos than have chemo. I guess the hard part is over and now its just a waiting game. I have to 'hurry up and wait' for the insurance company to approve the type of radiation they want to give me called IMRT. Once they accept or deny it then I will start. They think I will begin radiation around Thanksgiving time. Which means that I won't be done by Christmas time like I had hoped for.
I had to take my shirt and bra off and put on a gown. Then lay down on this table which made a cast of my body. I had to take my arms out of my gown and put my arms over my head during the whole process. While they were marking me up my boobs were just hanging out. It was awkward. I know what you're thinking (well at least what Holly would say) "oh get over it". There were three people in the room...a lady, an old-ish man, and a young guy who was apparently in training. After the markings, they put saran wrap-style thing over me which sucked out all of the air. I couldn't breath in or out deep even if I wanted or needed to. Picture one of those space bag things...that was me. Then I went through the CT machine for a little bit. I was done, except for the tattoos. The lady made 5 tattoos, which didn't feel very good. I don't know how people get real tattoos...I couldn't do the pain. Anyway, I have 3 tattoos that are down the center of my body, in between my boobs. And then one on each side near my armpits. (I need to go wash off where they mapped me. I have blue marker all over my chest.) To add onto the awkwardness they took pictures of the tattoos...and my boobs were definitely in the picture. So not only are these people going to remember me and my boobs, but whoever opens my file will get to see that too. Awesome.
I got home from Sacramento yesterday. I had a lot of fun. On Friday I got to see my friend Wendy and her new baby. I hadn't seen Wendy in a year and a half!! We used to work together at EDFUND. I miss hanging out with her everyday!!! Saturday I went to San Francisco with Kelly and her family. We went to Golden Gate Park and Union Square. That was a lot of fun, but gosh I was wiped by the time we got home! The other days I just hung out with the family and got to spend time with Grady. Oh, and how could I forget one of the top reasons why I went up there...David Berkleys! They have THE BEST sandwiches known to man.
Usually I would be having chemo today. It is still very weird that I don't have to get pumped full of poison anymore. I'd much rather get a cast and tattoos than have chemo. I guess the hard part is over and now its just a waiting game. I have to 'hurry up and wait' for the insurance company to approve the type of radiation they want to give me called IMRT. Once they accept or deny it then I will start. They think I will begin radiation around Thanksgiving time. Which means that I won't be done by Christmas time like I had hoped for.






5 Comments:
What is the cast for????? My mom couldn't give me good enough of answers. She told me it was to hold his head still and screw it to the table. Is that what it's for?
Oh and I wouldn't mind having pictures of my boobs taken.
:) haha
So are the tattoos permanent? I bet the trainee guy was glad he had that shift today. You probably made his whole week:)
I'm glad you had fun in Sac and SF.
We're coming down there for Thanksgiving...so you're gonna be around, right? Radiated and all?
Love you and miss you!
sounds very uncomfortable.
I remember one time my mom got me a hydra massage at a spa and I didn't realize that I needed to bring my own swimsuit as I would be in a bath tub with some lady squirting me with a fire hose. So I was all sprawled out TOTALLY buck and was so uncomfortable the whole time. I wonder if she thought I enjoyed it??
Glad you got to go have some fun, with all this STUFF you have to go through--family must seem like a vacation.
Mary! I know this is probably taking you back in the day a bit. This is Hillary Matson (Hall now). I saw you on Katie's blog. I am so sorry to hear about your cancer. I am glad the chemo is over and your doing well. You look absolutely amazing!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home