<&BlogMetaData&>

August 17, 2008

Update.

I don't even know where to begin. My sister, Julianne, flew in last Wednesday night to be with me for my 2nd round of chemo. I went in on Thursday morning and they took my blood and told me that my white blood cell count was too low (it was .4) and unsafe to do chemo. Instead they gave me a white blood cell count booster shot and told me to come back on Friday morning. Here is a picture of me getting an IV and then my blood drawn. And yes, everyone is laughing at me because I put a blanket over my face. I HATE needles.

I went in on Friday morning and my white blood cell count was up to 1.5, so I was able to do the chemo. Friday was also my mom's birthday...what a way to celebrate! We were only there for 4.5 hours, which is way better than the 8 hours they said it would take. I was planning on sleeping when we were there, but NO! I didn't sleep. This time the ativan didn't knock me out. But Julianne and I stayed busy by playing those stupid sudoku puzzles.
Anyway, all went fine at the treatment center. Friday night my hair started falling out more than it had been a few days prior. I can thank "big red" for that one. Here is a picture of "big red":
This is one of the 5 medicines that make up my chemo. And its this one that makes my hair fall out. Needless to say, I don't like it. I started a bag to see how much hair came out...it was gross.

Saturday. I took a shower and my hair was coming out in clumps. Clumps! I didn't freak out or cry, thank you very much. I got out of the shower and told my mom and sister "I want it GONE! NOW!". So my mom cut my hair and then my sister shaved it. I look like a lesbian, but there's not much I can do about that one. Don't let the smiling fool you. I was NOT happy about it, they were just saying something funny to make me laugh. Julianne did my make up, and I put on my wig and we went to the doctor's office to get another booster shot. On the way home we stopped at Ulta so I could buy my own bare minerals make up. I felt fine the rest of the day but I was so tired by like 8 or 9. I slept the rest of the night until about 11:30 am today. Of course I woke up every so often suffering from the hot flashes...thank you steroids! One more day of the steroids, and then I am free until the next round of chemo.

Sunday. Julianne left and I am stuck writing this post and have to get ready soon for another booster shot. Oh, and I have to get ANOTHER one tomorrow too. Guess what? They hurt and BURN like no other. I will say that getting ready is so much quicker with no hair to fuss with and no shaving. Its kinda nice.

Thank you Julianne for flying down here and leaving your 4 boys at home. I really do appreciate it! And how much fun did we have? So many stupid things were said...you'll have to email me all the funny stuff. I hate the sudoku, and yet its so addicting.

Side note: Remember when my doctor thought I had sarcoidosis? Yeah? And you know how Bernie Mac just died...and he had sarcoidosis? Hmm....

9 Comments:

Blogger Jules AF said...

So uhh.... It makes ALL of your hair fall out? That's really cool. Your legs will be silky smooth for the next little bit. yay.
I love sudoku. You're hurting me inside by calling it stupid.
Oh and, maybe you and Britney Spears could be twins and friends with your shaved head. Too bad she has hair now. Dangit.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

If you're gonna look like a lesbian at least your a cute one and not "butch". My friend told me that hot lesbians are called "lipstick" lesbians. Watch out...you could be attracting the same sex now.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Rebekah's Mom said...

EEEEEEEW! Holly's gross. Bekah said she thought you had your hair in a ponytail. Does your wig itch? Do you have to wear a cotton beanie-thing under it so it doesn't scratch or make your head sweat? Miss you!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Grandma Norma said...

Mary, I think you look darling without hair. All a person needs is a pretty face and a sweet personality to go with it. You have it all. Lots of luck and love to you. Norma Arnett

6:25 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I must admit to be surprised. You look GOOD with no hair. Weird. But where's the pic of you all dressed up with the wig?

9:08 AM  
Blogger Harper said...

You look awesome, Mary! Really, you do!

And I laughed out loud when you said you look like a lesbian. :)

5:12 PM  
Blogger Rebekah's Mom said...

Cute with the wig. You're looking really skinny...eat something!-I know it doesn't taste right, but seriously!-eat something!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Julianne said...

MEP! Here are some funnies: "I wanna take my clothes off". "No, but Im ready to kick somebodys ass though". "Im gonna leave my pee in the tub". " I brought my dress up clothes". Kimmie doll! Mom with the gray wig. "Dog bed".
More later....I gotta go to bed. :)
Hang in there. Love ya!

12:57 AM  
Blogger Julianne said...

I forgot to tell you that Dan's Dad said if you want to look like a real lesbian you need tattoos all up your arms!

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home